Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Day 2 with the baby chicks


Now I know why we were given this one specific chick (the black chick on the left and facing left in the above pic).  It turned out he has separation anxiety from human (not from its fellow chicks).  Frances thought it had separation anxiety with another chick we originally got.  This one chick is very loud especially when he knows you’re not around (okay I don’t know the gender yet so I will just refer as a him).  And he knows how to escape from the plastic bin even after we taped newspapers around it.  He’s a strong-willed chick.  We’re concerned he might break his leg if he keeps doing this.  He has escaped a few times and found him running around the bathroom.  Here’s his picture (below).  I think I’m gonna call this one ‘Chirpy’.  He’s constantly squacking and I don’t know how long he’s gonna be like this.  He keeps quiet though when you talk or sing to him or just stand around near him. 


It’s only been about 24 hours since we got them and it’s becoming obvious who’s going to be the bossy one.  I'm going to call it "Chipmunk" (that one on the lower right hand corner in below pic).

 
 
Last night, we were going to leave the chicks in our bedroom but the smell of the pine shavings bothered me and made me sneeze.  So we put them in the bathroom and we made sure the door’s completely shut.  The cats don’t show much interest with the chicks today but we’re still very careful not to leave them unattended.

The chicks have grown more feathers on their wings.  There’s a small black chick that we are a bit worried about.  He doesn’t eat much yesterday but now at least I saw him eat.  He’s the weakest of the flock and has a small bald spot in his back.  He's the one in between the two white chicks in below picture.  We’re thinking of bringing him back on Friday as suggested by Frances (owner of the farm where we bought the chicks).  She also has a few Rhode Island Red chicks coming so it’s very tempting to add more chicks.
 
 
The chicken coop I bought from Amazon arrived today.  Our backyard is still covered with snow so we set it up on the porch and will move it at the back once the snow is gone.  The coop I got is not very big but it is just a temporary coop while my husband is going to build a bigger one (crossing my fingers).   It won’t be very clean once the chicks are ready to live outside (around end of May). 
 
And on top of that I have a few vegetable seeds I need to germinate indoors.  Oh my, this is gonna be a busy spring season.  We can’t till the land yet.  I wish snow would melt soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment