Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Bleak Future for Nasty Roosters


Chickens make me happy overall but not when someone gets injured.  One more Rhode Island Red hen in pretty bad shape due to rooster’s very rough way of breeding.  This is the second hen I had to rescue since a couple of days ago.  I didn’t get a chance to take a close-up picture but this is how our makeshift ICU looks like in the bathroom.  

Today I spotted another hen in the coop that has open wounds from rooster’s clawing them while they breed.  That will be the 3rd bruised hen.  I can’t bring her in yet as I need another cage.  I can’t find the other cage we have.  I think it’s buried in snow outside.  This is additional chore I really don’t have time to do.  But I just have to keep going.  And it will have to be like this until spring. I tried putting them together in one cage but the 2 hens don't get along so I had to use a milk crate and just covered the top with cardboard.


The slaughter house near us isn’t open until spring around mid-March and if the temperature doesn’t get warmer anytime soon, I don’t know how many more injured hens I’ll end up with.  Now, I don’t know why I let the roosters live through the winter.  In the end it’s not worth the hassle of keeping them.  They eat a lot and are just a pure liability.  I am very frustrated at this point that I may be able to kill them this coming weekend.  I asked my husband to help me hold them but he refused.  So it’s going to be difficult to do this on my own.  The slaughter house is going to charge $3.99 per chicken to butcher and have them fully dressed. and I find that a bit expensive as I have 10 roosters I want to kill.  The other option is to sell them on Kijiji which I have already listed. Rhode Island Reds for sale

Here are the vicious roosters.  And ironically enough, they were the ones that had sex change.  I bought them as hens last October.  That’s why I’m upset.  And I feel bad because the 3 Barred Rock are so cute (last picture below).  But they have really bad attitude.




1 comment: