Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Happy New Year, Exciting 3rd Trimester – The Great Unknown


About 11 more weeks to go before I meet my precious baby! I’m still in awe I’ve gone this far despite all the difficulties we’ve faced trying conceive.

The past 2nd trimester was a breeze. But right at the beginning of my 3rd trimester, I’ve been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I failed both the 1 hr Glucose Challenge Test and 2 hr Glucose Tolerance Test.  I attended a Diabetes Education class today (with 10 other ladies) and I learned how to self-monitor our blood sugar 4 times a day. A dietician also discussed nutrition and meal planning. It’s the carbohydrates we have to really watch.  It’s been a very educational class that lasted around 2.5 hours. I have to keep write everything I eat in a day and email the food journal to the dietician and nurse on Sunday.  This adds additional work to keep track but the baby’s health is far more important than anything else.

After the class I also met with the endocrinologist who told me my sugar levels were high so she is sending me to insulin class next Wednesday. Then I had my regular appointment with my OB who told me I will have to be induced if I go beyond my due date.  As usual my blood pressure is textbook perfect at 120/65 and has been consistent throughout my pregnancy.   Also heard the heart beat of the baby on the Doppler and sounded like galloping horses.  Due to my GD, my OB wants to do ultrasounds every 2 weeks which I think is a blessing I get to see my baby more often 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment