Friday, January 12, 2018

29 weeks and dealing with GD.


Exactly 29 weeks today and on my 3rd trimester.  Second trimester was the easiest and I had no issues.
The past couple of days, my endocrinologist had me on strict low-carb diet due to Gestational Diabetes. I’m keeping track of everything I eat and submit my food journal and blood sugar results every week to the nutritionist and nurse. Food must be eaten in small portions every 2 hours. It’s the carb intake that I really have to watch.  Each meal I can only have a slice of whole wheat bread or 1/3 cup of rice.  But I can have unlimited berries or certain vegetables.  It's hard as I'm always hungry. I learned a lot about nutrition from the diabetes class my doctor sent me a couple of weeks ago.
 
I'm also self-monitoring my blood sugar 4 times a day. I’m 3 days in and still flinch every time. But this is nothing compared to the needles I had to poke myself while doing IVF.  
 
And tonight I ate a lot of slimy okras – not my favourite but I have to.

Next week I have to learn how to take insulin shots. Here’s the photo of the gadget I was given to keep track of my blood sugar.

The gadget that measures the blood sugar. The one that looks like a pen on the right is the needle.


Test strip absorbs the blood.


This is today's reading 2 hours after dinner and I only ate lots of okras, 1/3 cup rice and yogurt.  Yet it's still high.
The target is 6.6 mmol/L or less if taken 2 hours after each meal. And the above picture shows I'm 7.7 and it's still high!

The joys and sacrifices of being pregnant but it's all worth it in the end.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment