Friday, May 06, 2016

Sweaty – our chicken cat

Our first born chick hatched 36 hours too early desperate for his mother. It would chirp incessantly unless I was there.  I didn’t know what to do.  I was at a loss because I could not be at its side all the time but when I wasn’t there it would just chirp looking for me. 


So I hired a babysitter in a form of a [drum roll…] cat who seemed only too anxious to baby sit the newly hatched chick, and no, not for the reason you’re thinking.  You see he had been abandoned as a very young kitten when his then pregnant mother was dropped off at the side of the road and shortly after he was born, the mother was killed by a coyote.  

He (Sweaty) was alone but we had chickens in the backyard and within a short time he was sleeping with the chickens.  I think he grew to think of them as his parents.  As a matter of fact, he became so used to being around chickens that my husband caught him pecking at the ground with his head bobbing up and down as you would see a chicken. Although Sweaty to this day will eat mice and frogs and all sorts of bugs, he still considers chickens his brothers and sisters.  The chicks love his big bushy tail!

Enjoy the videos below.




No comments:

Post a Comment