Monday, May 30, 2016

Last batch of hatching result and a cross beak chick


Every batch of hatchings is full of surprises. I have the best hatch rate so far – 36 out of 48 fertile eggs (75%).  Actually it should have been 37 but one died within 48 hours of hatching.  This is the 3rd and last batch of the season.  Ironic that I somewhat ‘neglected’ them this time.  I didn’t do the 2nd candling on time.  And I didn’t help in hatching at all yet I have the best hatch rate so far.  I let nature take its course completely.  I really feel for the weak ones that cannot hatch themselves.  There was one that died while it was almost out of the shell.  I wish I helped crack the egg but I think it was best I didn’t because it would have been a weak chicken in the end. 


Just because I love statistics, I have to show my hatch rate analysis :)


Line


A
Eggs set
48
B
Not fertile
0
C
Dead at first candling
1
D
Dead at second candling
2
E
Full-term, failed to pip
4
F
Pipped, failed to hatch
5
G
Total lost = B+C+D+E+F
12
H
Total hatched = A-G
36
I
Percent hatched = H x 100/A
75
J
Percent of fertiles hatched = H x 100 / (A-B)
75

Unfortunately, one chick has cross beak (or scissor beak) and has only 1 eye (his right side). I noticed it the moment it came out of its shell.  Based on what I’ve read on the internet, it is a genetic deformity.  I wanted to cull it right away because it can be passed down to future generations but I just can’t.  It seems to be able to eat and drink and preens on its own.  But it's unsightly and looks freaky.  Here's the video and a few pics.







No comments:

Post a Comment