Friday, April 10, 2015

Day 20 – The tormenting wait


Today, our hydro provider gave us a one hour notice that there will be planned power outage from 10 am to 1 pm today.  And I somewhat freaked out because I have hatching eggs in the incubator.  So prior to the outage, I immediately covered the incubator with a warm damp cloth and another layer of blanket.  And I turned up the heat in the house to around 32C just before the power went off.  When the power came back on just before 1 pm, I was surprised the humidity reading in the incubator has gone up to 65% which is the ideal just before hatching.  I wasn’t able to get the incubator to that level of humidity in the past 24 hours even after filling up the incubator's water channels with warm water.  So is it the power outage (meaning the heat element was turned off in the incubator) or the damp cloth and blankets that increased the incubator’s humidity level?  Is it true then that as the temperature lowers, humidity goes higher?  So maybe the power outage was a blessing in disguise.  Well, I will find out tomorrow.  During that last two days, the humidity should be between 65 to 75%.

They are expected to hatch tomorrow.  And the wait is tormenting.  I cannot open the incubator to check because this is the very crucial time to keep them moist and warm.  I still don’t hear any chirping.  Wish me luck.  There are 43 eggs out of 48 that made it up to this point.

Took this photo when I just placed the eggs in the incubator (day 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment