Thursday, April 09, 2015

Day 19 – 2 more days to go before hatching

This is my first time hatching chicken eggs so I guess it is normal to be feeling too excited and at times a little bit nervous on how my 43 eggs will turn out.  They will hatch in day 21 which is 2 days from now.  I already start talking to the eggs giving them some ‘encouragement’.  Hopefully they can hear me as their mother hen.  I’ve removed the turning trays.  In nature, a hen will switch into her zombie mode where she would not move at all in preparation for hatching.  Isn’t that amazing?

I was so tempted to candle them again but I would just be putting a lot of stress on the health of the chicks inside the egg if I keep taking them out of the incubator.  So I left them alone.  I’m supposed to increase the humidity of the incubator to 60 to 70% during the last 3 days but it only goes up to 58% so I’m a little worried.  I’ve filled up the bottom channels with lots of warm water already and I’ve even placed a damp cloth just underneath the hatching tray in an attempt to increase the humidity.  But it still doesn’t go up to at least 60%.  This is a low-cost incubator so there is no automatic humidity control.  There's nothing I can do at this point but hope for the best turn out.

At day 19, here’s what the chick is supposed to look like inside the egg.  I took this photo from Gail Damerow’s book titled “Hatching & Brooding Your Own Chicks”.

This site Final Stages - Pipping to Hatching gives more info on how long it takes the chicks to hatch once they started to internally pip.  Apparently it can last from an hour to 24 hours.  So for my eggs, it will start tomorrow.

Meanwhile, below is the chicken I want to have some chicks because she lays a greenish egg. I hope one of her eggs will hatch.  Isn’t she beautiful?



She can be loud for no reason though.  Here's one of her videos doing the pok-pok-pok-p GAWK sound. Once she starts, everyone else seem to follow her singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment