Sunday, March 09, 2014

Seedy Sunday


My husband and I went to Seedy Sunday event in Peterborough.  I bought $20 worth of seeds.  I’m really hoping there won’t be buyer’s remorse later on.  We already have 3 pear, 3 peach and 3 plum young trees.  My plan before I arrived at the event was just to buy onions and chives because they help complement pre-existing fruit trees.  I’ve also been researching about growing vegetables specifically what vegetables complement each other.  So when we arrived at the event I got a bit overboard with my seed list.  There were a lot of people shopping for seeds.  I only chose the organic ones and the reasonably-priced booth.  So I paid $2 per packet.

First off, I bought corn, squash, cucumber and peas.  They complement each other.  The guy warned me that corn requires a lot of space and I told him that’s not a problem for me.  Below are the seeds I got for this first group. 

 
 
 
I also bought cilantro and spinach which complements each other.  I have to refrigerate cilantro seeds for 2 weeks and sow indoors.  Pics below.
 


And of course the main reason we went to the event – to buy chives, garlic and onion.  I don’t know about this.  At first I was thinking why can’t I just plant the garlic and onion I get from the store.




I love quinoa and it’s expensive to buy them at grocery stores but I do need to research more about how to grow this.  The lady at the booth told me that I just have to spread it on the soil with sand because they are so tiny.  I love dill so I bought it too.





I was going to buy asparagus but I’m glad the guy told me that I cannot harvest asparagus on year one.  I have to wait 3 years before I can harvest them.  So I decided this is not for me.  So wish me luck with my gardening attempt.

On the way out “Food Not Bomb Peterborough” was giving free chilly, home-made bread and ginger tea.  They prepare healthy, locally sourced food at community events.  It was quite a treat we never expected so we didn’t have to touch our apple and quinoa/banana bread I brought with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment