Sunday, March 30, 2014

Trying to decide...


In the past couple of months, my mind has been filled with ideas of what I will do on the farm for the first year of living here full time.  There are two things I wanted to accomplish this summer.  First, I want to grow a variety of organic vegetables that my husband and I can consume and maybe give the rest to our friends.  This is going to be an experiment and now that it’s already early spring (although the snow has not melted in our fields yet) I already feel overwhelmed with lots of ideas.  Second, I want to have chicks or laying hens in our backyard.  I’ve browsed more than a dozen books on vegetable gardening and raising chickens and building coops.  The planning part seems easy but the execution is very daunting especially with the cost constraints.

I’m starting to wonder why I want to do this.  I have a new passion for growing and am very interested in learning how different seeds interact with countless variables (variety, location, date of sowing, weed pressure, soil type/ temperature, etc.).  But please would someone tell me whether I am foolish enough to jump into something I know nothing about.  I’m still young enough to think I could do anything if I just set my mind to it. I do know that I feel a deep sense of peace when I’m out there in the fields and smell fresh air and watch the rich green hues of the plants and trees (or I will be in the summer).

No comments:

Post a Comment