Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Black Australorp rooster visits the vet


I was cleaning the coop early this morning when chicken poop dropped on my hair and at the back of my coat.  And I said “Oh sh*t”.  And I realized in this case it’s perfectly fine to swear as it literally describes the thing that dropped on me.  Anyway that’s just my introduction…

I brought one of my Black Australorp rooster to the vet today because the front corner of one of his eyes is frothy and I didn’t want to take a chance in case it is contagious.  I’ve already separated this rooster for a few days.  But I’m relieved that the vet (who also has her own chicken farm) said it’s not something to worry about.  It could just be due to stress or being cooped up all winter.  She checked the nostrils and the roof of its mouth and there’s no respiratory problem at all.

While at the vet, the assistants seem to be amused with the chicken.  Usually pets they see are dogs and cats.  The rooster flew all over the place when she (the vet) took him out of the box and it was very difficult to catch him.  It took the vet herself to catch it and the assistants were just amused.  I was amused too and I couldn’t contain my laughter to see the whole entertainment.  This rooster is very unfriendly and does not want to be touched.  I apologized for not warning them that this is a very anti-social rooster.  So they had to wrap him in a towel so he would stay still while the vet examines his eyes and cleaned his nostrils.  Anyway, that was the fun part of the day.  Not the vet bill.  I had to do it because I didn’t want to take a chance in case it was contagious.  Now, I’ve put too much expense on this ungrateful rooster.


Here's the Black Australorp rooster in mid-crowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment